From the Publisher
Dover Publications has the most affordable editions available of the world’s greatest literature — the lowest-priced choice for today’s students, educators, and anyone who loves classic literature!
(bapt. 26 April 1564 – 23 April 1616)
Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s greatest dramatist. He is often called England’s national poet and the “Bard of Avon” (or simply “the Bard”). His extant works, including collaborations, consist of some 39 plays,154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and a few other verses, some of uncertain authorship.
Over 40 of Shakespeare’s Play, Poetry and Non-Fiction Titles to choose from including:
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Four Great Tragedies, Hamlet, Julius Caesar, King Lear, Macbeth, 3 by Shakespeare, All’s Well That Ends Well, Antony and Cleopatra, As You Like It, The Comedy of Errors, Coriolanus, Cymbeline, Four Great Histories, Henry IV, Part I, Henry IV, Part II, Henry V, Henry VI, Part I, Henry VI, Part II, Henry VI, Part III, Henry VIII, King John, King Richard II, Love’s Labour’s Lost, Measure for Measure, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Richard III, Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, Much Ado About Nothing, Troilus and Cressida, Othello, Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, The Taming of the Shrew, The Two Gentlemen of Verona, The Two Noble Kinsman, The Winter’s Tale, The Tempest, Twelfth Night;Or, What You Will
- Complete Sonnets
- The Longer Poems
- Shakespeare: A Book of Quotations
From the Back Cover
A delightfully comic tale of mistaken identities, Twelfth Night revolves around the physical likeness between Sebastian and his twin sister, Viola, each of whom, when separated after a shipwreck, believes the other to be dead. The theatrical romp begins when Viola assumes the identity of Cesario, a page in the household of the Duke of Orsino. The Duke is enamored of the Countess Olivia, who spurns him for the newly arrived young page. The comical machinations of Malvolio, Sir Toby Belch, the maid Maria, and Sir Andrew Aguecheek add to the ensuing confusion—all of which is pleasantly resolved when Viola and Sebastian meet once again.
Filled with some of the finest comedic scenes in the English language, this entertaining masterpiece remains one of Shakespeare’s most popular and most performed comedies.
About the Author
“He was not of an age, but for all time,” declared Ben Jonson of his contemporary William Shakespeare (1564–1616). Jonson’s praise is especially prescient, since at the turn of the 17th century Shakespeare was but one of many popular London playwrights and none of his dramas were printed in his lifetime. The reason so many of his works survive is because two of his actor friends, with the assistance of Jonson, assembled and published the First Folio edition of 1623.
- ASIN : 0486292908
- Publisher : Dover Publications, Inc. (August 1, 2008)
- Language: : English
- Paperback : 80 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9780486292908
- ISBN-13 : 978-0486292908
- Reading age : 14 years and up
- Lexile measure : 570L
- Item Weight : 2.47 ounces